Updated 2016, September 16th.
CLICK & VISIT www.saint-francois-du-lac.com
also known as (SAID) JOLICOEUR
THIRD GENERATION – THIRD BRANCH – SUMMARY
Joseph Parenteau, son of Pierre-Louis Parenteau and Marguerite Saint-Laurent, was born June 23, 1721 in Yamaska. He was baptized the following day in the presence of his godfather, a friend and neighbor named Joseph Desrosiers, and as godmother, his aunt, Gabrielle Saint-Laurent. He was the fifth child and the third son.
During his youth, Joseph helped to develop the family farm. It was partly because of his great efforts that, after the accidental death of his father on June 4, 1745, his mother wasted no time to summon a notary and to sign a document giving Joseph the land which his father had promised him verbally. Marguerite Saint-Laurent knew she could count on him to look after her and the six younger children. The whole family agreed with giving Joseph also the fatherland if he would accept this responsibility. The inventory of all goods was made on July 14, 1747 and the inheritance was to be divided among the family members. All of them willingly relinquished their inheritance to their brother, Joseph, in order to free themselves from any responsibility toward their mother.
On January 29, 1752, at the age of thirty, Joseph signed a marriage contract with a twenty-two years old widow, Marie-Jeanne Georgeteau also known as Jolicoeur, who had a young child, Marie-Rose Bellegarde. Marie-Jeanne was the widow of Joseph Gerbeau also known as Bellegarde and lived in Louiseville in the Maskinongé County where she was born September 12, 1729. She was the daughter of Claude Georgeteau also known as Jolicoeur, a corporal, and Françoise Desrosiers. Marie-Jeanne had a half sister, Marie, born in her father’s second marriage who would marry Joseph’s brother, Pierre. As mentioned in the marriage contract, Marie-Jeanne brought, as her dowry, her garments, her bed, two cows, and two sheep. The wedding took place on February 7, 1752 in the Louiseville church across from Yamaska on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River or Saint-Pierre (St. Peter) Lake.
At the time of the 1765 census taking, Joseph Parenteau had a home on his land of about 125 acres in the Petit-Chenal of Yamaska, of which 15 acres were cultivated. He owned two cows, two bulls, three sheep, one horse and five pigs. He had, at that time, five boys and three girls. That same year he was given other property titles. His father, Pierre-Louis, had originally received only one document signed by the seigneur of Yamaska in 1710.
Joseph left this land in 1774 to settled three kilometers higher along the west coast of the Yamaska River. Today, in this area, Parenteau descendants can still be found. It was at this new farm that Marguerite Saint-Laurent, Joseph’s mother and Pierre-Louis’ widow, died on September 5, 1775. She was 81 years of age.
In 1780, Joseph Parenteau gave some land to his eldest son called Joseph. On May 6, 1784 he offered part of his personal and real estate to his children in exchange for an annuity. Most refused his offer feeling unable to meet its demands. Eventually a son-in-law, Michel Petit-Gobin, married to his eldest daughter, accepted.
Joseph’s wife, Marie-Jeanne Georgeteau also known as Jolicoeur died May 1, 1797, at Yamaska. Joseph Parenteau died July 5, 1801 at the age of eighty. He had spent his entire life working the land and his sons imitated him by living on the land in all parts of Yamaska. About 75% of the Parenteau in America are descendants of Joseph Parenteau, of whom the Parenteau and Parranto living in Minnesota.
By Gilles Parenteau. Translated by Susan Berry – Ottawa, Ontario